Thanksgiving is coming right up!
Here is a list of 14 tips for a making your Thanksgiving weekend healthier.
1. Plan to eat your Thanksgiving meal at midday or in the afternoon. This is when your digestive capacity is at its peak. Studies show that eating the bulk of your calories earlier in the day supports maintaining a healthy weight.
2. Plan several delicious plant based sides to accompany your Thanksgiving turkey. For healthy Thanksgiving food ideas, look here, here and here.
3. If you're not hosting, volunteer to bring a healthy dish to your holiday gathering. This way, you'll know that you have at least one healthy dish to put on your plate. Here's a list of healthy plant based Thanksgiving recipes.
4. Eat breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. This has been shown to prevent over-eating later in the day.
5. Sit next to healthy eaters. Find your healthy eating allies and enjoy strength and wellness in numbers.
6. Put veggies on your plate first. Take a larger portion of the healthier foods and a smaller portion of the less healthy foods.
7. Choose your indulgences wisely and enjoy them. There is a time for feasting. Consciously enjoy your dessert!
8. Slow down. Enjoy your food. Savor the flavors. Chew and swallow. Pause. Breathe. Repeat.
9. Focus on gratitude. Studies show that folks who make gratitude a daily practice open the door to more relationships, improve their physical health, psychological health, sleep better, are more empathetic, have better self esteem and mental resilience.
10. Drink digestive teas after your meal. Ginger tea, Cumin, coriander, fennel tea and licorice mint are all great choices. Here are some recipes.
11. When you're done eating, brush your teeth or put a mint in your mouth to discourage yourself from eating more than you need.
12. Move your body after your big meal. Invite your friends and loved ones to take a walk after your Thanksgiving feast. This will give your metabolism a boost and lighten the load.
13. Eat lighter and greener on Black Friday. It's a good practice to pulse between festive meals and simple meals. After a day of rich celebratory eating, dial it back. Think healthy and simple like green smoothies and vegetable soups.
14. Eat before you to the mall. This way, you won't be tempted to indulge in food court while you are doing your holiday shopping.
Happy Healthy Thanksgiving!
Hi. I'm Annie. I teach vibrant + soulful living through yoga and Ayurveda.
Have a free wellness conversation!
Up-level your habits!
Vibrant Peru Journey