Building Immunity and Restorative Yoga
Don’t you hate it when you realize that you’ve been living life in the fast lane, being too busy, feeling stressed, not eating well and not resting enough, and you wear down on your immune system and you end up sick. Let’s not let that happen!
Here are some ideas to help you build your immunity this season.
According to Ayurveda, ojas is the life sustaining vitality that promotes immunity in the body. I think of it as your energy reserves and deep immunity. Ojas is responsible for sustaining your physical health, mental clarity and emotional well-being. When you have a lot of ojas, your cup is full. You are a picture of health. Your eyes are bright. You look well-rested and content. You build ojas by good, wholesome living. When you are living in the fast lane, you spend your ojas quick. Burning the candle at both ends is a sure way to deplete your energy reserves.
Late fall is an important time to build ojas. Here is a list of simple ways you can do this:
- Keep good company. Positive people nourish and uplift the soul.
- Eat nourishing foods. Warm, plant based, nourishmnent. (For autumn nourishment ideas, click here.)
- Live and eat in season. Season living promotes immunity. (For your fall health tip sheet, click here.)
- Rest. So simple, yet so often overlooked! Go to bed early and prioritize rest.
- Positive touch and hugs. Practice self-massage and give and receive hugs.
- Reduce/avoid sweets, alcohol and caffeine
- Practice a restorative yoga sequence. (See below!)
- Get fresh air. Go out into nature.
Restorative Yoga is a great way to build immunity and replenish yourself.
Here is a simple 11 minute restorative yoga and pranayama practice you can use to build your immunity:
Here's to your health!