Statement on Social Justice, Equity & Inclusion
As a white, straight, cis-gender woman from a secure socio-economic background working in the field of health and wellbeing, I'm am an advocate for social justice, racial equity, and LGBTQ+ rights. I work with people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, those who identify as LGBTQ+, with limited English proficiency, as well as those impacted by trauma, in a variety of settings including schools, non-profits, government agencies, wellness centers, and retreat centers. I am committed to making wellness offerings relevant and accessible and listening to and learning from from those with expertise in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Cultural Awareness & Humility
I teach and coach in the traditions of yoga and Ayurveda, traditions that are not from my heritage and I offer gratitude to the knowledge and practices I have learned from my teachers. Yoga and Ayurveda are comprehensive and holistic systems of well-being that originated in the ancient Indian Vedic system of knowledge and have stood the tests of time. These systems promote optimal mind-body health and wellness and I believe that these traditions exist for the benefit of humankind. As a teacher and practitioner of yoga and Ayurveda I have great respect for the roots of these traditions. I have humility and awareness of the history out of which these traditions arose and the cultural misappropriation of these traditions. I am committed to honoring and practicing these traditions with utmost respect. In doing so, I aim to keep love and inclusion at the forefront of my work.
Practicing with Intention
I commit to creating spaces that are grounded positive intent, mutual respect, and a growth mindset where individuals can show up to explore and restore their bodies, minds and spirits, express their truth, listen to understand, communicate with care and candor, and practice self-care in an atmosphere of mindfulness and personal responsibility.
This description of "safer space" is inspired by Michelle Cassandra and Johnson and her work with Dismantling Racism Works. “Safer space” is based on the belief that we cannot wholly offer another “safe space”, but we can strive for “safer space.”
- Safer space is grounded in respect; it is a place where we assume positive intent.
- Safer space is a place where people can come as they are to discover, assert, and empower their bodies and voices.
- Safer space is a place where people can come as they are to encounter and listen deeply to the voices of others.
- We acknowledge that within safer spaces, we are working toward developing trust over time and are seeking to understand first.
- Safer spaces require continual work and mindfulness. We acknowledge that a seemingly safe space can turn unsafe within moments. How we handle those moments is what really determines the safety of the space.
- Spaces are safer when we take responsibility for what we say, feel, and think to the extent that we can and when we admit that we cannot when that is the case.
Agreements for our Work
When I work with groups and individuals, I ask that we abide by the following agreements:
- Show up with positive intent and mutual respect
- Have a growth mindset
- Listen to understand
- Communicate with candor and care
- Balance mutual care (care for the group) and self-care (care for yourself)
- Engage your edge
- Give to receive
- Maintain healthy boundaries and honor confidentiality
- Be accountable to your words and actions
Vibrant Soulful Values:
- We live the habits of yoga and Ayurveda for health, happiness and harmony.
- We commit to being our own best caregivers, respecting and caring for our bodies and minds.
- We embrace an evolution-oriented mindset by showing up ready to learn and grow.
- We seek knowledge, tools, and relationships to enrich life and manifest our goals.
- We nurture relationships through respect, honesty and care.
- We strengthen connectivity and trust by being vulnerable, transparent and authentic.
- We practice accountability to ourselves and others by owning our actions.
Book a Free Discovery Session
Together we'll take the time to explore your wellness and lifestyle goals, and consider the best course of action to help you meet your goals.Book Now