Foods to Favor in Spring
How to eat to as you move into spring
The body’s need for the heavier, rich foods of winter shifts to a desire for light, dry, simple foods that digest easily. Maybe you’ve noticed your cravings change. The arrival of the warmer weather often is accompanied by the desire to eat less of the heavier substantial foods of winter, and the desire to eat lighter foods such as fruits, fresh veggies and salads. This is the body’s way of telling you it’s time for a SPRING CLEANING.
How to live and eat for spring
To balance the COOL DAMPNESS of spring, we want to INTRODUCE foods, flavors and experiences that are:
We want to REDUCE foods, flavors and experiences that are:
If we do this, we will be less likely to experience COMMON SPRING IMBALANCES such as
- Sinus or chest congestion
- Spring allergies
Let’s talk food!
TASTES TO FAVOR AND ENJOY IN THE SPRING:
FOODS TO FAVOR:
- GREENS! To clean out the body!
- PUNGENT SPICES: ginger, black pepper, lemon, turmeric
- DRY GRAINS: corn, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, rye
- ASTRINGENT FRUITS: apples, pears, berries, prunes
- LEGUMES AND LEAN PROTEINS: beans, lentils, egg whites, chicken, fish
- BITTER VEGETABLES: kale, arugula, dandelion greens, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli
- RAW HONEY in moderation
FOODS TO REDUCE:
- Anything cold
- Dairy products
- Sweet heavy fruits (dates, figs, bananas)
- Breads and refined carbs
- Heavy, oily, fried foods
- Roasted nuts
- Salt – because it adds to fluid retention
- Animal protein – eat in moderation during spring
Suggested Spring Meals:
- Green smoothies made with fresh fruits and greens, consumed at room temperature or slightly warm. Add ginger and turmeric for more cleansing qualities
- Porridges made with lighter grains such as buckwheat or millet
- Fruits like cherries and berries, apples and pears
LUNCHES AND DINNERS:
- Enjoy cooked legumes, cooked grains, freshly cooked veggies, salads (midday)
- KITCHARI and other veggie stews
- LENTILS AND RICE DISHES
- CHICKPEAS, BLACK BEANS
- ASPARAGUS STEAMED OR IN SOUP
- ASIAN STIR FRIED VEGGIES AND TOFU
- VIETNAMESE PHO SOUP WITH BOK CHOY AND VEGGIES
- CAULIFLOWER OR BROCCOLI STEAMED OR IN SOUPS
- LIGHTER, LEANER PROTEINS and not so often (chicken, fish, eggs)
More adventures in spring season eating
- TRY SPROUTING. Sprouts are full of vitality and cleansing properties.
- EAT YOUR WEEDS. Some of the best nutrition to be found is in your yard. Dandelion, Thistle, Nettles – detoxifiers. And they are FREE! Read more and get recipes here.
- TRY THHIS SPICE MIXTURE: coriander, fenugreek, cumin, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, cayenne, cloves
- HYDRATE WELL. DRINK WARM WATER BETWEEN MEALS. Avoid cold beverages.
- ENJOY DIGESTIVE TEAS MADE WITH ginger, anise, cloves, and peppercorn
Need some recipe suggestions? Here's a collection of plant based recipes.
Do you have a spring recipe or tip to share? Contact me.
Check out the video I made a video with my friend and colleague, Alexandra Epple, about how to eat as we transition from winter to spring.